You are welcome here....

I started off thinking I was going to do a weight loss blog. That was too one dimensional for me - but I absolutely love some of the ones I follow! This is a typical, broad spectrum, anything goes hybrid of diary and therapy for me. You are welcome here.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Post Thanksgiving Update - some realizations....

Thanksgiving went well - I have not even dared to step on the scale. It went REALLY well as far as the food - maybe not so well as far as my waist line.... Some interesting realizations occurred over the holidays...
I am soooo not the favorite child in my in=laws eyes. My children hold no comparison to their little male cousin. He is awfully darn cute..but it was hard to swallow that he could do no wrong and mine were irritating. It was a bit tough to accept that he was constantly in their camper and being praised and gushed over while mine were on the side lines. It was not so fun to see my sister in law catered to while I was second fiddle - but I can take it. I just hurt for my kiddos. As they grow older - they will become aware of it. I remember feeling left out when my grandparents took my cousins places and not me. I remember feeling unwanted, not as loved, and flat out rejected at times. But I am so fortunate -and so are my kiddos. You see, I am the golden child in my family. Yes, I have a brother. However, his extra chromosome make competition just seem so unnecessary (at least as an adult!) In MY family - my 3 daughters are GODDESSES and I am the one and only. The perfect one. I am praised, complimented, supported and cherished. So I am fine - and my girls will be too. They have okay parents and an awesome Nana and Oppie. We will survive and be just fine - just had to sulk for a minute....

And in other news.....I watched my parents revert back to teenagers when their high school friends showed up this weekend. I ran up for a quick observation of sheer goofiness. Singing songs and playing guitars. Inebriation and flirtation. Taking a trip down memory lane and saying prayers of thankfulness at the course their lives took - and relishing in the reunification of long, lost lovers was something to behold. I also have to admit that witnessing such similar and familiar interactions is a little......unsettling yet reassuring. My parents are people. Do you hear that? Not perfect, stoic, matriarchs and patriarchs - but goofy, silly, fallible people. And while I enjoy seeing them so loose and fun - it is a bit strange sometimes and I have to remind myself that my children will see me through simialr eyes at some point. Right now I am omnipotent and (hopefully) on a platform surrounded by mysterious knowledge far beyond their comprehension. I still didn't understand mortgage rates and APR at 21 - or 401k's or the finer requiremnts of maintaing a budget - but now I know....and I know we are all just humans.
So in summary - great holiday. Experiences makes us what and who we are - and I like what I am doing and who I am becoming. Not perfect - but my lenses keep changing....

No comments: