You are welcome here....

I started off thinking I was going to do a weight loss blog. That was too one dimensional for me - but I absolutely love some of the ones I follow! This is a typical, broad spectrum, anything goes hybrid of diary and therapy for me. You are welcome here.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New phone, stitched dog, and camping in my future....

I did it. I finally upgraded myself into the 21st century and got a new cell phone with SOME of the bells and whistles. I bought the Motorola Karma - added texting and internet (read:email and facebook) I am sure I will use the texting - not sure about the email - but I can cancel that app any time. I practiced a few texts last night - and see how much easier it is - and more succint - and less annoying - and the usefulness (read: grocery list for hubby!) Twitter and other "fun" stuff will just have to wait as I acclimate myself to this one baby step at a time.....
On other fronts - my poor cowdog cross/pound puppy was shot by a "neighbor" on Saturday while I was frolicking at Fiesta Texas with my girls, former student, and friends. Seems she and Lucky and Aggie all went across the fence to sniff around at the piles of deer guts they have lying around and he shot her. Thankfully, the bullet sliced her down the side through the muscle - but no internal injuries. He claims he had a problem with a "pack of dogs" chasing deer and cows last year. He was sure he had killed her.
Well - 2 days later - he feel s so bad about it - he is going to pay the vet bills. She has 10 inches of stitches, on antibiotics and pain killers, and will have a visible reminder of her adventure. I am surprised by many reactions in this situation. Surprised he would shoot her, surprised he would pay for the vet bills, and surprised that I really feel no animosity towards him. My dog was on his property. I KNOW she doesn't chase cows or deer - as we have plenty of both and she ignores them. She prefers the challenge of jackrabbits as big as she is! I could have just never seen her againa nd not know what happened to her - so I am thankful. Strange - I know.... I think I will write him a thank you letter, include pictures of my dogs, and send him some cookies (sans chocolate ex-lax!). Quite the improvement in reaction for me!! Seriously though - I have NO way of guaranteeing my dogs will never step foot on his property again without chaining them. We have lived there going on 10 years and have not had a problem - I hope the problem is resolved and communication will involve a phone call instead of a bullet.
And on to the fun stuff - CAMPING. We leave tomorrow for a few days at a state park. My turkeys I raised were TOO big for the fryer (19, 22, 34 and 38 pounds!) - so a store bought bird will go in with all the fixings and trimmings outside in nature. YUM!! I really enjoy the family time and food! Hopefully the hiking and non-stop activity will counter-act the calories! Fall is awesome - and I love a holiday based around being thankful. Thankful I am -

No comments: